When I read the Bible, I find that I can only memorize very limited verses, or just remember the verses should be in which book, but cannot find where exactly it is. About four years have passed, but it seems not much improvement. I really want to know more about the Bible. Do you have any good reading method to recommend? How can I memorize more Bible verses or memorize them more easily?
Your help will be greatly appreciated.
"For everyone who partakes only of milk is unskilled in the word of righteousness, for he is a babe. But solid food belongs to those who are of full age, that is, those who by reason of use have their senses exercised to discern both good and evil" (Hebrews 5:13-14).
In my years, I've met a few excellent mathematicians who can solve the most complex geometric problems. But most wouldn't even know where to begin. Yet, I've also watched carpenters who solve complex geometric problems daily without effort because they repeatedly use the same methods each day.
Some people have excellent memories, but most of us do not. But when you put those passages to use day after day, finding them and remembering them becomes far easier. Therefore, if you are not growing in God's word (II Peter 3:18), it is because you are not putting your knowledge to use.
Here are some suggestions:
- When you answer a question in Bible class, don't answer with "I think." Find the passage first, then state "Over in ... it says ..."
- When someone tells you about a problem in their life, think about what passage would best address their situation and then show it to them (best) or recited it.
- When something really bothers you, think about what passage would best guide you, and then go read it again.
- Start creating a cross-reference in the margin of your Bible. When you run across a verse that particularly fits well with another, jot the reference down in the margin.
- When a speaker refers to a passage, even if you know it well, look it up in your own Bible.
- Start talking to people about becoming a Christian. There is nothing like discussing the Bible to get your mental gears going.