The Scribes and the Pharisees
Did you understand what you read?
- Where the scribes and Pharisees fail the most, in their teachings or in their lives?
- How have the scribes and Pharisees made being righteous difficult?
- What was the primary motivation of the scribes and Pharisees for being religious? How was this demonstrated?
- What are the three reasons using religious titles is wrong?
- What are the eight charges (woes) Jesus condemns the scribes and Pharisees for doing?
- Who would Jesus be sending to Jews? For what purpose? When would this happen?
- Though Jesus plans bring vengeance on the Jews for their murders, did he take any delight in it?
- What would Jesus rather do? What was preventing him?
- Why do you suppose Matthew’s account of this discourse has so much more detail than Mark and Luke’s accounts?
- After the lesson where do we find Jesus?
- What did he observe there?
- What lesson did he draw from his observation?