The Sermon on the Mount: Happiness and Woe
Did you understand what you read?
- “Blessed” is another word for being happy. Make a list of the eight things Jesus said would bring happiness in the left-hand column. On the right, write a word or phrase that is the opposite of what Jesus said would bring happiness.
- Looking above, which list (Jesus’ or your list of opposites) would most people think brings happiness? Why?
- Luke’s account of Jesus’ message gives a series of contrasts between blessings an woes. In the left-hand column give the blessings and in right-hand column give the woes. Under each one, write why they are a blessing or a woe.
- Persecution is especially difficult to see as something that will result in happiness, but who can we look to for examples?
- What is Jesus teaching when he called us salt and light?