Church (Local) Tasks: Deacons
A. Deacon (diakonos) - a servant. This can get a bit confusing because the same word is used for preachers or an actual servant in different contexts.
B. Used for a duty or office - I Timothy 3:8, 12
C. Where we know the office is mentioned, it is in the plural - Philippians 1:1; I Timothy 3:8-13; Acts 6:1-6
A. Acts 6:1-6 tells us what we know most about deacons
1. The noun form is not used, but it is used in the verb form in Acts 6:1-2, 4, the same as used in I Timothy 3:10, 13
2. The men were selected by the church and appointed by the apostles for a task of service.
3. They were not serving the apostles. They were not taking over some of the apostles’ duties. They were appointed to duties that were distracting the apostles from their own work.
4. They were serving the church. Seeing that an obligation of the church was handled.
B. Service is a Christian duty
1. All Christians are expected to act as servants - Matthew 20:25-28; John 12:26; Matthew 25:41-44
2. Service to the church
a. The relief effort was an act of service - Romans 15:25; Acts 11:29
(1) Men were selected by the churches to serve or administer the gift - II Corinthians 8:18-21
b. God takes note of our service - Hebrews 6:10-11
c. Serve as God supplies the ability - I Peter 4:10-11; Romans 12:6-8
d. There are different ways to serve - I Corinthians 12:5-6
3. Examples of service - I Corinthians 16:15; Romans 16:1-2; Ephesians 6:21; Colossians 4:7
4. The church is to equip its members for service - Ephesians 4:11-13; Revelation 2:19
C. Though all Christians serve, there are some who hold the office of servant
D. It shouldn’t be a strange idea.
1. All Christians teach and preach as they have opportunity, but some men are dedicated to the job.
2. All Christians are to watch for each other, but some men are appointed to the job of overseeing the souls of the church.
3. In the same way, all Christians are expected to serve, but some men take on the task or office of servant.
E. These are men who represent the church through their service to the church
1. They are men to have taken on the task to serve the church by helping the church fulfill its duties.
2. They will not be doing all the acts of service. Christians still have their responsibility to serve.
III. Qualifications - I Timothy 3:8-12
A. Reason for qualifications: They represent the church and they have an opportunity to speak of their faith - I Timothy 3:13