Teach Your Child the Fear of the Lord
When Paul had listed all the sins of the Gentiles and of the Jews and was summing up his argument as to why all need the gospel, he told us why there is so much sin in the world in these succint words: “There is no fear of God before their eyes” (Romans 3:18). Jesus tells us that it is far more important to fear God, who can destroy both soul and body in hell, than to fear man who can only kill the body (Matthew 10:28). In order for our children to grow up into the righteous relationship with God, it is essential that we teach them to fear the Lord.
Shall we read just a few wise words from the sagacious Solomon?
- “The fear of the Lord is the beginning wisdom" (Proverbs 9:10).
- "The fear of the Lord adds length to life, but the years of the wicked are cut short" (Proverbs 10:27).
- "He whose walk is upright fears the Lord, but he whose ways are devious despises Him" (Proverbs 14:2).
- "He who fears the Lord has a secure fortress, and for his children it will be a refuge. The fear of the Lord is a fountain of life, turning a man from the snares of death" (Proverbs 14:26-27).
- "The fear of the Lord leads to life; then one rests content, untouched by trouble" (Proverbs 19:23).
Do you want your children to be wise, to have longer life, to walk uprightly, to have a secure fortress, to have a fountain of life and to rest contentedly? Then teach them the fear of the Lord. Teach that fear by your own fear of Him. (Need I remind you that this fear is a reverential awe that would do nothing to displease God?) Teach them this fear by teaching them the word of God. Teach them by your example in every phase of your life. Let them see that you will do everything you can to please God and nothing that will displease Him. Build a strong conscience in your children that will absolutely refuse when sin beckons them to go into evil. Your children will praise you in your old age for having taught them the fear of the Lord. Both you and they can be with God together in heaven.