False Reports from the Watchtower
by Fred Shewmaker
God's people always have had a problem with false prophets. If God had not given a standard by which to measure prophets, it might be difficult to determine whether or not they are from God, or false prophets. However, by Moses He said, "When a prophet speaketh in the name of the Lord, if the thing follow not, nor come to pass, that is the thing which the LORD hath not spoken, but the prophet hath spoken presumptuously: thou shalt not be afraid of him" (Deuteronomy 18:22).
It is abundantly clear from the writings of the "Watchtower Bible and Tract Society" that the, so called, "Jehovah's Witnesses" have spoken presumptuously. Several years prior to 1975 they began pointing to that year as the year in which we should expect something of great importance in God's scheme of things. It has been difficult to learn from conversations with them, what they expected to take place at that time. However, in my possession is a book printed during 1966 by that society, entitled: Life Everlasting in Freedom of the Sons of God. This book unveils the mystery.
- There is on page 23 a section heading: "A Wonderful Jubilee Approaching!"
- On page 26 another section has the heading: "Six Thousand Years of Human Existence Closing."
- We find on page 29, "... the published time table resulting from this independent study gives the date of man's creation as 4026 B.C.E. According to this trustworthy Bible chronology six thousand years from man's creation will end in 1975, and the seventh period of a thousand years of human history will begin in the fall of 1975 C.E."
- On page 30 we are informed regarding that which the people of the "Watchtower" were expecting to begin in the fall of 1975: "How appropriate it would be for Jehovah God to make of this coming seventh period of a thousand years a sabbath period of rest and release, a great Jubilee sabbath for the proclaiming of liberty throughout the earth to all its inhabitants! This would be most timely for mankind. It would also be most fitting on God's part, for, remember, mankind has yet ahead of it what the last book of the Holy Bible speaks of as the reign of Jesus Christ over earth for a thousand years, the millennial reign of Christ."
- In the next paragraph on this page we read, "The Jubilee year of God's ancient law was a 'shadow of the good things to come.' The substantial reality that is forshadowed must, yet without fail, be introduced for the good of all the groaning human creation. The blessed time for its introduction is fast approaching, shortly, withing our own generation, the symbolic trumpet will be sounded by divine power, proclaiming 'liberty in the land to all its inhabitants.' (Leviticus 25:8 - 10)."
There may be many grounds on which to challenge these assertions; however, I do not intend to challenge them. It is my intention to show by the writings of the "Watchtower Bible and Tract Society" that they have spoken presumptuously. This shall be proven conclusively.
Through the years I have acquired many books published by the "Watchtower" people. One of these books is entitled, The Time is at Hand. This book was copyrighted in 1889. In the light of this book the things we have noticed from the 1966 book become very interesting and revealing. By these excerpts you will plainly see that the truth cannot possibly be presented in both books. They openly contradict each other.
- In the book, The Time is at Hand, on page 33, we are informed, "In this chapter we present the Bible evidence which indicates that six thousand years from the creation of Adam were completed with A.D. 1872; and hence that since 1872 A.D., we are chronologically entered upon the seventh thousand or millennium...."
- On pages 53 and 54 we find, "So, then, whereas Usher dates A.D. 1 as the year 4005 from the creation of Adam, it really was, ..., the year 4129, according to the Bible record, thus showing the year 1872 A.D. to be the commencement of the seventh thousand-year period, the seventh millennium, or thousand-year day of earth's history."
- The claim is made on pages 76 and 77, "In this chapter we present the Bible evidence proving that the full end of the times of the Gentiles, i.e., the full end of their lease of dominion, will be reached in A.D. 1914 and that that date will be the farthest limit of the rule of imperfect men. And be it observed, that if this is shown to be a fact firmly established by the scriptures, it will be proof: -- Firstly, that at that date the kingdom of God, for which our Lord taught us to pray, saying, 'Thy Kingdom come,' will obtain full universal control, and that it will then be 'set up,' or firmly established, in the earth, on the ruins of the present institutions."
- We are advised on page 101, "Be not surprised, then, when in subsequent chapters we present proofs that the setting up of the Kingdom of God is already begun, that it is pointed our in prophecy as due to begin the exercise of power in A.D. 1914 with the complete overthrow of earth's present rulership, is already commenced."
- We find on page 170, "In the preceeding chapter we presented evidence showing that the 'Times of the Gentiles,' or their lease of dominion, will run fully out with the year A.D. 1914, and that at that time they will be overturned and Christ's Kingdom fully established."
- It is asserted on page 182, "... we have already entered upon the great antitypical Jubilee period, and have been in it since October A.D. 1874."
Now let us compare the significant points made in each of the books quoted:
- "Six thousand years from the creation of Adam, were completed with A.D. 1872; and hence that since 1872 A.D., we are ... entered upon the seventh thousand or the millennium...."
- "Six thousand years from man's creation will end in 1975, and the seventh period of a thousand years of human history will begin...."
- "The 'Times of the Gentiles' ... will run fully out with the year A.D. 1914 and that at that time ... Christ's Kingdom fully established."
- "Mankind has yet ahead of it ... the reign of Jesus Christ over earth for a thousand years, the millennial reign of Christ."
- "We have been in it [the Jubilee - fas] since October A.D. 1874."
- "The substantial reality that it [the Jubilee - fas] forshadowed must yet ... be introduced.... The blessed time for its introduction is fast approaching...."
The "Watchtower Bible and Tract Society" cannot be correct in both books. They were either wrong in 1889 or else have been wrong since 1966. It is obvious that there has been a change in their position on the age of man, the beginning of the millennial kingdom and the beginning of the Jubilee. If they are now right, that proves that from 1889 to 1966 they spoke presumptiously. If they were right in 1889, that proves they are now speaking presumptuously. Take it either way you want it; they have spoken "in the name of the LORD" (one time or the other) that "which the LORD hath not spoken," they have "spoken presumptuously: thou shalt not be afraid of" them.
The evidence herein presented proves beyond any reasonable doubt that those of the "Watchtower ... Society" are false prophets or, it might be more appropriate to say, false withesses. "Thou shalt not bear false witness" (Romans 13:9).