If I had an affair with another man while separated from my husband, could I marry the man I had the affair with?


I separated from husband because of his cheating and in the process met a man who was separated from wife. I had a emotional and sexual relationship with him. I'm confused about if I'm committing adultery and if God will bless our union. He is divorcing his wife who was married previously.


A separation is merely a declaration of an intent to divorce. You are still married to your husband. He is still married to his wife. The two of you committed adultery. Thus, you are not all that different from your husband. "Therefore you are inexcusable, O man, whoever you are who judge, for in whatever you judge another you condemn yourself; for you who judge practice the same things. But we know that the judgment of God is according to truth against those who practice such things. And do you think this, O man, you who judge those practicing such things, and doing the same, that you will escape the judgment of God?" (Romans 2:1-3).

When both the husband and wife commit adultery, I find it difficult to separate the real cause of the divorce. For instance, your adultery made it even more difficult for your husband to repent of his sins and return to his marriage. I don't know if a marriage would be allowed in this case, but I would not recommend it.