Question:In the stations of the cross, and in Luke, Simeon is made to carry the cross for Jesus. But, in the following stations Jesus is depicted carrying the cross. I do not understand that if Simeon is carrying it, why Jesus is shown carrying it.
The simple answer is that "the stations of the cross" are a man-made creation of the Roman Catholic church. From Wikipedia:
The Stations themselves are usually a series of 14 pictures or sculptures depicting the following scenes:
- Jesus is condemned to death
- Jesus receives the cross
- Jesus falls the first time
- Jesus meets His Mother
- Simon of Cyrene carries the cross
- Veronica wipes Jesus' face with her veil
- Jesus falls the second time
- Jesus meets the women of Jerusalem
- Jesus falls the third time
- Jesus is stripped of His garments
- Crucifixion: Jesus is nailed to the cross
- Jesus dies on the cross
- Jesus' body is removed from the cross (Pieta)
- Jesus is laid in the tomb
Even though Simon is depicted in the fifth station to carry Jesus' cross, Jesus is depicted in stations 6 through 9 as still carrying his cross.
This is not the only error in the stations of the cross as the stations are only losely based on the Gospels. For example, the sixth station, where Veronica is mentioned is not found in the Gospels. I found an article titled "The Stations of the Cross -- A Scriptural Verion" and what is amazing is that many of the citations are from traditions and legends, not the Scriptures!
"Tradition speaks of Jesus falling three times on his painful journey."
"Again tradition tells us of a meeting of mother and son on his way to execution."
"Legend has it that while Christ was carrying his cross, a woman named Veronica, moved with pity, wiped the sweat and blood from his face with her veil."
This is just another reason we should stick with the Bible and not the traditions of men.