In Word and Deed
Text: Colossians 3:12-17
I. “You can talk the talk, but can you walk the walk?”
A. Such a saying tells us that people understand that it is one thing to talk about something, but often something else to actually to it.
B. Actually, the two – the thoughts and the actions – must join together.
1. One without the other is hypocrisy
C. Colossians 3:17 - “Whatever” doesn’t leave much out. Consistency between word and action is required.
II. Words are the vehicles which carries our thoughts.
A. We will be judged by our words - Matthew 12:33-37
1. Words reflect our hearts – who we are
2. Even idle words, words said without thought, will be weighed by God
3. For even they tell us about the person
B. Words show the thoughts and intentions - Mark 7:20-23
C. It is through words that we learn what we need to do - I Corinthians 1:21
1. Truth comes from Jesus - John 1:17
2. As Peter said - John 6:68
D. Thus early Christians preached - Acts 26:25
1. Reasoning and persuading - Acts 18:4
2. Breaking down false arguments - II Corinthians 10:3-5
E. Words properly used
1. Exhort - Acts 2:40
2. Give comfort - I Thess 4:13-18
3. To make changes - II Timothy 3:16-17
4. Teach - II Timothy 1:13
5. Sound speech - Titus 2:7-8
F. Words wrongly used
1. To stir up anger - Proverbs 15:1
2. To seduce - Proverbs 5:3-5
3. To stir up mobs - Acts 19:25-29
4. Teaching false doctrine - Acts 15:24
5. Idle talk and subversion - Titus 1:10-11
G. This is why we must control our tongue - James 3:1-12
1. Without a bridle, we have a useless religion - James 1:26
III. Deeds display the heart
A. We are judged by what we do
1. Romans 2:5-9 - Judged according to deeds
2. Revelation 20:12 - Judged according to works
B. It is by deeds we accomplish what we are told
1. Mark 16:16; Acts 2:38; Acts 22:16
2. Nothing would be accomplished if everyone sat still
C. Shown by conduct - James 3:13
D. It cannot be a partial obedience - James 2:11
E. Not temporary obedience - Galatians 6:9-10
IV. Neither word nor deed alone
A. Love in both - I John 3:14-18
1. You can’t just talk about love. Love is shown in what we do.
B. James 2:14-17 - Faith can be declared, but without works, it is dead.
C. Conduct and what is said - Hebrews 13:5-7
D. We forget if we only hear - James 1:22-25
V. In heart as well as in reality
A. Worship in spirit and truth - John 4:24
B. Is your religion consistent?