Who is the Holy Spirit?
I. Many people have vague notions about the being we know as the Holy Spirit
A. Part of this comes from the descriptions of God.
1. Jesus has a name, but Spirit is more generic term.
2. God, the Father, and God, the Son, give us relationships that we are familiar with, but how does the Spirit fit into this relationship?
3. The name “God” sometimes refers to the Father and sometimes to all three.
B. As a result, people’s imaginations fill the gap
1. Some see him as a mystical force, not really a being like the Father or the Son, but an impersonal power.
2. Some believe the Spirit is the Father’s Spirit, just like each of us have a spirit.
II. The Godhead
A. Typically, the Bible speaks of God or the Lord. Few realize that “God” is a pural noun, such as “herd” or “flock”. The word, by itself means there are multiple components.
1. I can tell you that my brother-in-law, Eddie, has a herd on his land, but you wouldn’t go away thinking that Eddie has just one cow. “Herd” implies multiple cows.
2. When those crazy people run the bull in Spain, you don’t see anyone referring to it as a cattle stampede. “Cattle” implies many bovines.
B. Three times God is referred to as a “Godhead” or “Divine Nature” - Acts 17:29, Rom. 1:20, Col. 2:9
C. The Holy Spirit is mention with the Father and the Son
1. Matt. 3:16-17 - Jesus in the river, the Spirit descending, and the Father in Heaven.
2. Matt. 28:18-20 - Baptism is done in the name of all three.
3. John 15:26 - Jesus will send the Spirit from the Father to the disiciples.
4. Rom. 15:30 - Through Jesus and the Spirit, pray to God.
5. II Cor. 13:14 - The grace of Jesus, the love of God, and the communion of the Spirit
6. I John 5:7 - These three are one
III. The Holy Spirit is God
A. Lying to the Spirit is lying to God - Acts 5:3-4
B. Demons are cast out by the Spirit (God) - Matt. 12:28, Luke 11:20
C. He has the characteristics of God
1. Omnipresent - Ps. 139:7
2. Omniscience - I Cor. 2:10-11
3. Omnipotent - Luke 1:35, Micah 3:8
4. Eternal - Heb. 9:14
5. Giver of Life - John 3:3-6, Rom. 8:11
6. Truth - I John 5:7
7. Justifier - I Cor. 6:11
IV. The works of the Spirit
A. A part of the creating of this world - Gen. 1:1-2
B. He taught and reminded the prophets and apostles - I Pet. 1:10-12, John 14:26
C. He bore witness through the signs and miracles - John 15:26, Heb. 2:3-4
D. He guided the apostles - John 16:13
E. He speaks to us through the apostles - I Tim. 4:1
F. He leads Christians when we follow His teachings - Rom. 8:12-14