What is Heaven Like?
I. Some things are just hard to describe
A. When asked to describe her husband, Shulammith answered - Song 5:10-16
1. We understand that this is not a precise, scientific description
2. Rather, the unknown is described by the familiar. Somehow we know the real thing is better.
3. Each illustration shows a characteristic. It is inadequate, yet beautiful.
B. Describing heaven causes similar difficulties
1. We haven’t been there before
2. Those who have pick familiar things to compare it to, but we know the description is inadequate.
II. Describing heaven
A. Heaven is home
1. If you travel for any length of time, there is soon a desire to go home - Hebrews 11:13-16
2. Too many see this life as home, but everything in this world perishes - Psalm 49:10-12
3. At death, we go to our eternal home - Ecclesiastes 12:5
4. Jesus has a place prepared for you and I - John 14:1-3
5. The size is incredible - Revelation 21:16
a. 12000 stadia in each direction, or 1500 miles in each direction, or 225,000 square miles – not counting the upward direction!
b. If placed in America, it would span from New York to Denver and from Canada to Florida
c. That is a BIG city!
B. Heaven is a place of rest - Hebrews 4:9-11
1. Revelation 14:13 - Rest from our labors
C. Heaven is a place of friends - Hebrews 12:22-24
1. I have often traveled and it’s comforting to know there are brethren where I travel.
2. Friends and relations I just haven’t met yet. But heaven holds all the redeemed of all ages. There is no one there who will not be a friend.
3. This is a reunion of a close-knit family like no other reunion.
D. Heaven is a place of beauty
1. Revelation 4:1-4 - Descriptions rich in color and light. Expensive material is used throughout
2. Revelation 21:18-21
E. Heaven is a place of light
1. Revelation 21:22-27
a. The light shows the closeness of God
(1) Psalm 84:11 - God is a sun
(2) I John 1:5 - God is light without darkness
b. It shows the purity of heaven
(1) Revelation 19:7-8 - righteousness is liken to bright, clean linen.
F. Heaven is a place of joy - Isaiah 65:17-19
1. Past pains will be forgotten
2. All causes of sorrow will be gone - Revelation 21:3-5
III. Heaven is eternal. All of the good with none of the bad. The world we only dream of will be a reality.
A. But its entrance is limited - Matthew 7:13-14. Not by number, but by those willing to enter.
B. Revelation 20:12 - Judged by the record of our deeds
1. We cannot earn heaven, but only the obedient may enter.
C. Nothing we described here comes close to doing justice of heaven. It is far greater and more glorious than told. Won’t you make it your home?