Roles in Salvation
Text: Ephesians 2:1-10
I. There are many misleading claims in the denominations regarding salvation
A. Most of the misconceptions come because people only look at some of the verses regarding salvation.
B. They find verses which says we are saved by God’s grace and then trumpet that salvation is solely by God’s grace.
1. The very idea that man has any part in his salvation is rejected.
2. Thus the conclusion that baptism, a command of God, cannot save
C. Yet it is these same people who state that salvation is by faith alone.
1. What happened to God’s grace?
2. They resolve it by insisting that God gives faith.
II. We realize that the Bible doesn’t present such a one sided view of salvation. The actions of God are fitted to the actions of man to produce salvation
A. Purpose - Fear
1. Salvation comes because that is God’s will
a. According to God’s purpose - Ephesians 1:7-12
b. A plan from all eternity - Ephesians 3:7-12
2. But God wants man to fulfill His purpose - Revelation 17:17
a. Man’s all is to fear God and keep His commandments - Ecclesiastes 12:13
b. It is the fear of God that leads to life - Proverbs 19:23
c. Work out your salvation - Philippians 2:12-13
B. Grace - Love
1. It is God’s grace, an unearned gift, that brings salvation - Titus 2:11-14
a. It is grace that saves - Ephesians 2:8-10
b. That grace is an aspect of God’s love for us - John 3:14-21
c. God’ love is shown in the sending of His son - I John 4:9-17
2. That love is not one-sided. Man’s response to God’s love is love in return
a. We love because God first loved us - I John 4:19-21
b. God makes our love a condition - John 14:23-24
C. Word - Faith
1. God has told us what is needed
a. Jesus came to make God known - John 17:1-8
b. God’s word is truth - John 17:17
c. A power for salvation - Romans 1:16
2. Man must respond with faith - Romans 10:8-11, 17
a. Must believe - Hebrews 11:6
D. Command - Obey
1. God commands
a. If we love God we will obey - John 14:15
2. Our obedience
a. Shows we know God - I John 2:3-6
b. God commands obedience - I John 5:1-3
c. Obedience of faith - Romans 1:5; 16:25-27
E. Promise - Hope
1. God has promised salvation
a. God cannot lie - Titus 1:2
b. He promised eternal life - I John 2:25
2. Man responds with hope – an earnest expectation - Romans 8:24-25
a. Hope in the glory of God - Romans 5:1-2
b. A living hope - I Peter 1:3-9
III. Though we focused on one point in each reading, I hope you noticed how other aspects of God’s role and man’s role all interplay to produce salvation
A. Does God save man? Most definitely yes.
B. Is man expected to take a part in his salvation, again the answer is yes