I. Heb 12:28-29 - Offer service to God with reverence and godly fear
A. Reverence - A feeling of profound awe and respect and often love; veneration.”
B. The word literally means with downcast eyes, or bashfulness.
C. Ps 2:11 - Serve God with fear, rejoice with trembling
D. Ps 89:5-15 - Hold God in reverence.
E. I Pet 1:17 - Conduct our time here in fear.
F. How do we accomplish this? What does it mean to hold God in reverence?
II. Can learn from others we are to hold in reverence
A. Eph 6:5-6 - Servants are to give obedience to their masters
1. A servant who drags his feet at every command doesn’t give his master respect.
2. What would you think of an employee who grumbled over each request, even though he eventually accomplished the matter? Where each task given becomes a mental wrestling match?
B. Lev 19:32 - The aged are to be respected
1. Age is a crown of glory - Pr 16:31
C. Eph 5:33 - Wives give respect to husbands.
1. Earlier wives are told to submit to their husbands.
2. It is a related idea. It is not, “All right, I’ll do it, but I don’t like it.” You may have submitted, but there is no reverence, no respect.
3. It is a choice on the wife’s part. It cannot be forced, but it is required.
D. Eph 6:2 - Honor your father and mother
1. Heb 12:9 - Give respect to fathers who discipline us.
2. Does a child show respect to his parents if he talks back or disregards what his father tells him to do?
a. No, it is a sign of disrespect.
3. Isa 45:10 - Woe to those who say, “I didn’t ask to be borned!”
III. When a person does the same thing with God’s commands, they shame God instead of bringing him reverent honor.
A. Mal 1:6-14
1. They dishonored God by finding his table contemptible
2. They gave less than their best to God
3. They look down on the offerings
4. They declare God’s worship to be boring
B. Do you not see the same today?
1. We have to liven up the worship. The people want to be entertained. The old forms of worship are too boring.
2. Service to God in worship is viewed as a chore instead of an honor.
C. We need to give God obedience - Lk 6:46
1. Not just an obedience in form, but also in mind. In a willingness to do whatever the Lord asks