Remember Lot’s Wife
Text: Luke 17:22-37
I. In speaking of the destruction of Jerusalem, Jesus reminds his disciples of God’s past judgments on the wicked.
A. In particular, he warns them not to look back when the time approaches - Luke 17:31
B. To emphasis his point he asks them to remember Lot’s wife - Luke 17:32
C. This is a reminder of the destruction of the cities of Sodom and Gomorrah.
1. Because of the vile sins of the people in this area, God decided to destroy the entire region.
2. Lot and his family were warned to flee the city of Sodom - Genesis 19:17
3. As Lot, his wife, and his two daughters approached the small town of Zoar, God unleashed his fury - Genesis 19:23-26
4. Nothing is left of this area. What is left of the cities of Sodom and Gomorrah according to archeological finds is now under the southwest end of the Dead Sea. What was once a lush plain is now a desolate wasteland.
5. From far away Abraham saw the smoke rise from God’s wrath - Genesis 19:27-28
D. Jesus tells us there are lessons we can learn from Lot’s wife. Lessons that will aid us in our walk before God.
II. Lot’s wife perished even though she was married to a righteous man
A. Lot made many mistakes in his life, but the Scriptures still call him a righteous man - II Peter 2:4-8
B. Yet a man’s righteousness cannot spread to others. A man’s righteousness cannot even save himself.
1. Our sins separate us from God - Isaiah 59:1-2
2. Ultimately none of us are righteous - Romans 3:10
3. So we seek the redemption of Jesus Christ - Romans 3:23-26
4. Yet for all of this a righteous man is scarcely saved - I Peter 4:17-18
C. Righteous friends, relatives, or even spouses cannot bring you salvation
III. She perished even though she was warned of the danger
A. An angel of God personally delivered the message from God, “Escape for your life” - Genesis 19:17
B. Jesus has also left us clear warning.
1. He warned about doing his will - Matthew 7:21-23
2. He spoke more than anyone else on the dangers of Hell - Matthew 25:46
C. Paul spoke of the coming judgement
1. He warned Felix of it - Acts 24:25
2. Jesus will take vengeance on those who will not obey - II Thessalonians 1:7-8
D. Peter warned people to be saved from this wicked generation - Acts 2:40
E. Yet, warnings only are effective if they are heeded -- not partially but fully.
IV. She perished even though she made an effort to be saved.
A. Lot’s wife was not like the others Lot warned. She did not stay behind. She did not scoff at the silly idea of an entire region being destroyed by God. She ran for her life! And she almost made it to safety.
B. She was lost because her heart was still in Sodom. She was convinced, but not fully.
C. A man once asked Jesus how many would be saved - Luke 13:23-24
1. Jesus said many would look for salvation, but would not make it.
2. About 2 million souls left Egypt for the promise land, but they did not make it. - Hebrews 3:7-19
a. They were freed. They followed Moses. And yet their faith was not strong enough to allow them to enter the land of rest.
b. Hebrews 4:1 - We must not lose our faith
D. A garden left to itself falls into desolation. Our lives must be cultivated constantly lest through neglect, we lose our salvation - Hebrews 2:1-3
V. She perished even though she committed just one sin
A. There is a tendency to downplay the seriousness of sin and its consequences.
B. We excuse our behavior. It wasn’t that bad. It was just a little sin.
C. Sin is sin in the eyes of God. It doesn’t have to be an earth shattering sin that will keep us out of heaven.
VI. As Christians, we walk by faith - II Corinthians 5:7
A. When Jesus healed two blind men, notice the last statement - Matthew 9:27-29
B. Your salvation, too, depends on your faith.
1. Why is it that some have to be begged to attend church services?
2. Will they have enough faith to enter the kingdom?
3. We don’t encourage you to come because being here will save you. Rather we hope that being here will strengthen your faith so that you will want to worship God. - Romans 10:17
C. Some will draw back into their lives of sin - Hebrews 10:39
D. Don’t learn the lesson of Lot’s wife the hard way. Don’t look back, but keep your eyes on Jesus Christ - Hebrews 12:1-2