The Prayer in My Hand
Text: Luke 11:1-13
I. I ran across small article aimed at teaching young children for who they should remember to pray.
A. I thought you might find it interesting as well
B. Not just for teaching children, but it offers a lesson for us as well
II. The prayer in my hand
A. If I hold up no fingers, I make a fist. I should remember to pray for those who are my enemies.
1. Our enemies surround us - Psalm 17:8-12
2. Pray for those who mistreat you - Matthew 5:44
3. Pay them back with blessings - I Peter 3:9-15
B. Your thumb is the nearest to you. So pray for those close to you.
1. Your family and friends are easiest to remember.
2. Jesus declared us his friends - John 15:14-15
a. And he prayed for us - John 17:20-22
3. The apostles worked long and hard with Christians to establish churches and these were in their prayers
a. Thankful for the memories - Philippians 1:3-6
b. Never ceasing to make mention - Ephesians 1:15-16
c. Giving thanks for good news - Colossians 1:3-5
d. That they might grow stronger - Colossians 1:9
e. That they might stay strong - II Thessalonians 1:11-12
C. The next finger is the pointing finger. Pray for those who point us in the right way.
1. Pray for your parents, teachers, preachers for the guidance that they give
a. Paul asked - I Thessalonians 5:25
2. Pray that they have opportunities to teach and to teach well - Colossians 4:2-4
3. That they may be bold - Ephesians 6:18-20
4. Pray they have the strength to continue - II Thessalonians 3:1-2
D. The next finger is the tallest finger. Prayer for those who stand tall among us -- our leaders.
1. Governments come from God - Romans 13:1
2. Pray that those in authority allow us to lead peaceful lives - I Timothy 2:1-3
3. Solomon prayed that the king make good judgments and that those under him be righteous - Psalm 72:1
4. Remember the leaders in the church as well - Hebrews 13:7
E. The fourth finger is our ring finger. It is our weakest finger. We should remember to pray for those who are weak, ill, or in trouble
1. Bear each other’s burdens - Galatians 6:2
2. When Simon realized he sinned - Acts 8:24
3. Righteous prayer is effective - James 5:14-16
F. The last is our little finger, the smallest of all. That is where we should place ourselves in relationship to all others
1. We are to be servants of all - Matthew 20:25-28
2. Look out for the interests of others - Philippians 2:3-4
3. We don’t pray for personal pleasures - James 4:3
4. We pray about our weakness - I John 1:9
5. We give thanks for our blessings - I Thessalonians 5:16-18
III. Perhaps this simple aid will help all of us to remember to pray as we ought
A. And the Spirit of God will aid us according to God’s will - Romans 8:26-27