Text: Colossians 1:24-29
I. What does it take to be successful?
A. Earl Nightingale, in The Successful Communicator, told of a time when he was flying to a meeting to deliver a motivational speech to a group of sales people. It turned out that the man next to him on the plane was going to the same meeting; in fact, he was being honored as the top sales person of the year. Curious, Mr. Nighthingale asked the man what was the secret of his success. The man replied, “Funny thing. I have been in this business for years and for most of them it was just a job and I never accomplished much. Then a strange thing happened – the business got into me and that is when I became successful.”
B. For a Christian to be successful, he too needs to have Christ get inside of him and he inside of Christ.
1. Not in the physical of Jesus entering like a parasite, or we him.
2. Christians are baptized into Christ - Romans 6:3
a. We establish a relationship with Christ
3. The name “Christian” means we follow Christ - Acts 11:26
4. Christ is our head - Ephesians 1:22-23
5. We join other Christians in a united effort - I Corinthians 12:13
II. What is inside Christ
A. A family relationship with God - Galatians 3:26
B. All blessings - Ephesians 1:3
C. Redemption - Romans 3:24; Ephesians 1:7
D. No condemnation for those who walk according to the Spirit - Romans 8:1
E. Salvation with eternal glory - II Timothy 2:10
F. Resurrection - I Corinthians 15:22-23
III. It is two-ways. We must be in Christ, but we must also allow Christ in us.
A. We are not only baptized into Christ, we also put on Christ - Galatians 3:27
B. Titus 2:9-14 - We adorn the doctrine of God
1. We show its influence in our life
2. We are an ornament displaying what Christian living is like
C. We conform ourselves to his image - Romans 8:29
IV. What happens when some seek to be in Christ, but do not allow Christ to be in them?
A. They only have an outward form of religion instead of a religion that changes them - Romans 12:1-2
B. They don’t grow
1. Ever learning, but it never becomes a part of them - II Timothy 3:7
2. They lack the sincere desire - I Peter 2:1-3
3. They don’t press forward - Philippians 3:13-14
C. Service to Christ is a chore instead of a joy - Malachi 1:13
D. They can’t influence the world because the light isn’t in them - Matthew 5:13-14
V. The hope of glory - Colossians 1:24-29
A. Our goal is to perfect you in Christ so that you might have a hope of glory
Based on an article by Harold Hancock