The Establishment of the Kingdom
Text: Daniel 7:13-27
I. Few argue the importance of the Kingdom in God’s plan.
A. It is not of this world - John 18:36
B. It is a spiritual kingdom - Luke 17:20-21
C. Yet there remains arguments as to when it was or will be established.
1. In part it is because people still are looking for a tangible kingdom.
2. Since they cannot see evidence of the kingdom physically, they assume the kingdom will exist in the future.
II. The foretelling of the kingdom
A. The kingdom would be established during the fourth empire - Daniel 2:44
1. The fourth empire from the days of Nebuchadnezzar was the Roman empire.
B. In another vision, Daniel saw the Son of Man approach the Lord God and receive a kingdom - Daniel 7:13-14
1. Again it was during the days of the fourth beast (fourth empire) - Daniel 7:23-27
C. At the birth of Jesus, it was foretold that Jesus would take up a kingdom without end - Luke 1:31-33
D. Jesus said the time for the kingdom was close
1. The prophesy was being fulfilled, the time was at hand - Mark 1:14-15
2. It would come in this people’s lifetime - Mark 9:1
III. The present kingdom
A. Christ is now King
1. He has been given all authority - Matthew 28:18
2. He was made both Lord and Christ - Acts 2:36
3. All things are under His feet - Ephesians 1:20-22
4. All authorities are subject to Him - I Peter 3:22
5. He is now the ruler over the kings of the earth - Revelation 1:5
6. He has received the rod of iron - Revelation 2:26-27.
7. He is King of kings and Lord of lords - I Timothy 6:14-15
8. The duration of His reign - I Corinthians 15:25-26
9. Tell me how Jesus is currently king if he has yet to receive a kingdom?
B. The existence of the kingdom
1. God calls people into his kingdom - I Thessalonians 2:12
2. Christians have been conveyed into the kingdom - Colossians 1:13
3. We are receiving a kingdom - Hebrews 12:28
4. John had companions in the kingdom - Revelation 1:9
5. Christians have confessed Christ as Lord - Romans 10:9-10
C. The terms “church” and “kingdom” are used interchangeably
1. Matthew 16:18-19
2. Revelation 1:4, 6, 9
3. This is why Christians are fellow citizens - Ephesians 2:19
4. Our citizenship is in heaven - Philippians 3:20
5. The kingdom of the present is the church
IV. The future of the kingdom
A. Matthew 13:40-43
1. In this parable the unrighteous are removed from the currently existing kingdom
2. The righteous who remain will shine in the future kingdom
B. In the future kingdom, the reign is turned back over to the Father - I Corinthians 15:22-26
C. The future kingdom is spoken of as an inheritance - I Corinthians 15:50; 6:9-10
D. It is a heavenly kingdom - II Timothy 4:18
E. Sometimes confusion occurs when a distinction is not made between the present kingdom and the future kingdom
1. Paul exhorts his brethren to endure to enter the kingdom - Acts 14:22
2. Peter says much the same - II Peter 1:10-11
3. The present kingdom can attract weeds, but these will not enter the everlasting kingdom in heaven.
V. Don’t you want to be a part of God’s kingdom?