Do You Know What Is Following You?
Text: I Timothy 5:24-25
I. I guess my wife and I are reaching another milestone in life. People we’ve known, who are our age, are beginning to pass away.
A. It might sound sad, but it really isn’t. I was thinking about the passing of someone recently. He had a few weeks warning, but he did pass quickly.
B. In life he was a simple man. He was a math major, a teacher at a school for troubled youth, a preacher in a small church, a family man.
C. In death it was apparent that he was more than he appeared as those whom he touched in life came to give tribute by the thousands.
D. I ran across I Timothy 5:24-25 and thought that here was a man whose reputation could not stay hidden.
II. What proceeds you
1. Jeremiah 2:34 - Didn’t have to look hard
2. Some have no shame of their sin - Jeremiah 6:15
3. Ahab was one - I Kings 16:30-33
B. Righteous deeds are meant to be seen - Luke 11:33
1. Matthew 5:16 - Let your light shine
2. Being filled with the fruits of righteousness - Philippians 1:11
3. Cornelius was well reported of - Acts 10:22
III. What follows you and cannot stay hidden
a. People knew he pilfered, but the depths of his sins was not known - John 12:4-6
b. Yet in death it was clear - Acts 1:16-20
a. Known as a prophet, seemed to say all the right things - Numbers 22:5-6
b. But we know after his death that he was driven by greed - II Peter 2:15-16
B. The righteous
1. Abel still speaks after death - Hebrews 11:4
2. Dorcas, well known and continued past her death - Acts 9:36-39
3. God will make your light shine - Psalms 37:5-6
IV. Your reputation is like a perfume - Ecclesiastes 7:1
A. People may notice it before you arrive and it lingers after you are gone.
B. A person doesn’t set out to make a name for himself; that is, you don’t do things just to be seen by others - Matthew 6:1-4
1. Rather a person seeking after righteousness will have a reputation of being righteous because of what he does.
C. What you do, your fruits, says more about you than words about you - Matthew 7:16-20
V. God, through Balaam, made an interesting point - Numbers 23:10
A. When it is time for me to die, will it leave behind memories of the righteous deeds that I had done?
B. Psalms 116:15 - The righteous are precious in God’s sight, and who better to please with my life?