Carpe Diem - Seize the Day
Text: I Thessalonians 4:9-12
I. “Carpe Diem” is from a poem written in Latin by Horace. It means “seize the day.”
A. The point of the poem is that a person does not know what the future holds so one should make the most of the what a person has at the moment.
B. For a Christian is not so much that the future is uncertain as that we don’t know how much time we have - James 4:13-15
1. Life on earth is not long - Psalms 90:9-12
II. While we have opportunity
A. One of James’ point is not to count on the future to make plans. But another application is we should not put off doing good - James 4:16-17
B. Galatians 6:9-10 - Do good as the opportunity presents itself. You aren’t guaranteed another chance.
III. While we have time
A. Ephesians 5:15-17 - redeem the time
1. Walk carefully (circumspectly). You don’t have time to waste in sin.
2. Redeem the time (buy the time).
a. Don’t waste it, but spend the time you have wisely.
b. There is too much trouble in the world to waste time.
c. In other orders, buy time by giving up time wasters so you have more time to use profitably.
3. Use your time to know what God wants you to do.
B. Use your time to walk wisely toward those outside the church - Colossians 4:5
1. To behave properly to those within and without - I Thessalonians 4:9-12
IV. Today is a day to work
A. Work with all your might because you can’t work after death - Ecclesiastes 9:10
B. In secular work, work like God is your boss - Colossians 3:23
1. Proverbs 18:9 - Don’t waste what you have: possessions, talents, opportunities
2. Be self-motivated - Proverbs 16:26
C. But there is work for the Lord that is far more important - John 9:4
1. Run as if to win the prize - I Corinthians 9:24-27
2. No end to excuses - Proverbs 26:16
3. We cannot give excuses - Luke 9:59-62
4. We cannot waste time in the past - Philippians 3:13-14
5. Don’t be sluggish - Hebrews 6:11-12
6. Not lagging in diligence - Romans 12:11
V. Today is a day to praise
A. The Lord made today, so rejoice and be glad - Psalms 118:24
B. You are alive, so praise God - Isaiah 38:18-19
VI. Today is a day for salvation
A. High time to wake up - Romans 13:11-14
B. Exhort while it is today - Hebrews 3:12-13
C. Now is the day of salvation - II Corinthians 6:1-2 - Seize the day